Ocala Regional Medical Center
surgical fire risk, perforated intestine, laparotomy, electrocautery, near miss - healthcare
Anesthesiology | Equipment and Supplies | Surgical Procedures, Operative
72 yo obese male presented to ED for 2 day history abdominal pain: sharp, radiating bilateral upper quadrants, n/v/constipation. Patient took entire bottle magnesium citrate, pain became unbearable. On arrival SaO2 88% RA, other vitals stable, Lactic Acid 1.85 mg/dl, CT abdomen massive free air. Taken to OR, intubated, general anesthesia, peritoneal cavity entered with cautery device. Upon entering peritoneum abdomen, flames erupted from the cavity. Flames spontaneously extinguished. No thermal injury sustained by patient. Surgeon’s eyebrows where singed, no other injuries sustained by OR staff. Patient remained hemodynamically stable, surgery proceeded without incident.
Publisher or Conference
Anesthesiology Annual Meeting 2019
Christopherson H, Kroll A. Intraabdominal Fire During Emergency Laparotomy. Poster presented at: The Anesthesiology Annual Meeting; October 19-23, 2019; Orlando, FL.
Anesthesiology Commons, Equipment and Supplies Commons, Surgical Procedures, Operative Commons